Mark B. Seiger
Blue Back Square, 65 Memorial Road, Suite 340
West Hartford, CT 06107-2434
Direct Tel: 860.760.8415 Tel: 860.760.8400 Fax: 860.760.8401
Mark B. Seiger practices primarily in the area of complex civil litigation, advising and representing businesses in a variety of areas. Mark’s areas of focus include: products liability, sports and recreational litigation and risk management; medical devices; drugs and dietary supplements; contract disputes; unfair competition; construction defects; insurance coverage; extra-contractual liability; distribution/dealer disputes; advertising issues, and partnership disputes.
In addition to aggressively litigating cases when necessary, Mark also evaluates cases early on and works extensively in the area of alternative dispute resolution. He serves as national counsel for a number of clients and has extensive experience in evaluating, coordinating and managing significant books of business on both a national and international basis. Mark has tried over 40 jury cases to successful conclusion. Additionally, he has also successfully mediated and arbitrated numerous complex cases.
Mark advises companies regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding product related issues. This work encompasses product regulatory compliance, advertising and collateral material reviews and audits, agency investigations, and safety related issues.
Mark is the former outside General Counsel of Burton Snowboards and currently represents many companies involved in the sports and recreation industries on an international basis. Mark was instrumental in the introduction of snowboarding into the 1998 Olympics and qualifying procedures for the US Snowboard Team. He is a founder of Fuse Integrated Sports Marketing (a sports marketing company focusing on alternative/extreme sports and representation of professional athletes and entertainers).
A regular part of Mark’s practice involves working with corporations in developing innovative ways to assess and minimize litigation exposure. He is the past Co-Chair of the Manufacturers Risk Prevention SLG of the Defense Research Institute.
A significant focus of Mark's practice is establishing various insurance programs for both the domestic and London-based insurance markets in the sports and recreational areas. As part of this practice, Mark regularly advises these programs in the area of risk management, as well as personally managing the litigation for the programs insureds. When appropriate Mark personally handles the litigation.
In addition to frequently publishing, Mark is regularly invited to speak both nationally and internationally. He has been actively involved in issues related to products manufactured in China. Away from work, Mark is an avid snowboarder and golfer. In a former life, Mark was a professional off-road race car driver competing in such prestigious races as the Baja 500 and Mint 400. In addition, Mark also designed and built off-road race cars for competition.
Mark was selected for inclusion in 2012 New England Super Lawyers.
- Recreational/Sports Risk Management and Litigation
- Recreational Product Liability - Risk Management and Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Insurance Coverage and Extra-Contractual Liability
- University of Hartford, B.S., summa cum laude
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., summa cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- United States District Court, District of Connecticut
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court, District of Vermont
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- Former Co-Chair, Manufacturers Risk Prevention SLG
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Sporting Good Manufacturers Association (SGMA)
- National Ski Areas Association (NSAA)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- Risk Insurance Managers Society (RIMS)
- Connecticut Bar Association
- The British Insurance Law Association (BILA)
- Winning Team, Niagara International Moot Court Competition, 1981
- Who’s Who in Emerging Leaders
- Who’s Who in Law
- National Young Leadership Award, International Conference of Jewish Federations
- Co-Author, “ Traumatic Brain Injuries and Youth Athletics – What Do You Need to Know?,” Sports Litigation Alert and Concussion Policy and the Law, November 4, 2011. (PDF)
- Ski Area Management Magazine’s Summer Ops Camp, 2011: Speaker on risk management issues related to ski area summer operations, Jiminy Peak Mountain Resort, Hancock, MA, October 5, 2011.
- Speaker, “Understanding the United States Legal System and Managing Risk – A Guide for Manufacturers and Product Distributors,” Self-Insurance Institute of America International Conference, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, June 8, 2011.
- Speaker, "Strategies for dealing with the changing legal environment, a risk management approach," Northeast Ice Skating Managers Association, New Haven, Connecticut, April 19, 2011.
- Co-Author, “Effective Enterprise Risk Management Enhances Corporate Responsibility & Profitability,” The Self-Insurer, April 2011. (PDF)
- Co-Author, "In Defense of Terrain Parks," Ski Area Management Magazine, January 2011.
- World Waterpark Association’s 29th Annual Symposium & Trade Show, presenter on risk management and liability issues, Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida, October 23, 2009.
- Snowsports Industries of America, 2009 Annual Meeting and Tradeshow, presenter on risk management and product liability issues, Las Vegas, Nevada, January 27-29, 2009.
- Speaker, “Why Defendants Lose Cases; A Primer for Success,” Chubb Insurance Company, Warren, New Jersey, May 21-22, 2008.
- Speaker, “Litigation of a Bad Faith Case: A Defense Perspective”, Discover How to Navigate the Minefields of Insurance Bad Faith with Ease, Lorman Education Services, New York, New York, December 5, 2008.
- Speaker, “Bench Marking Best Practices for Quality Assurance,” Managing the Risks of Manufacturing in China, American Conference Institute, Las Vegas, Nevada, February 28-29, 2008.
- Speaker, “Effective Trial Techniques for Successful Defense of Bad Faith Litigation,” Bad Faith and Extra-Contractual Litigation, Lorman Educational Service, New York, New York, December 5, 2007.
- Speaker, “Expert Testimony: Techniques for Strengthening Your Case,” The 16th National Advanced Forum on Bad Faith Litigation, Miami, Florida, November 7-8, 2007.
- Speaker, “The Effective Use of Mediation in Addressing the Fire Loss Claim,” DRI’s 2007 Fire and Casualty Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, November 1-2, 2007.
- Speaker, “Enterprise Risk Management,” 21st International Insurance & Reinsurance Congress 2007, Hamilton, Bermuda, October 3-5, 2007.
- Speaker, “Successor Liability: Dealing with the Absence of Clarification of Coverage Before Transfer,” 3rd Advanced National Forum on Environmental Insurance Claims and Litigation, American Conference Institute, New York, New York, January 25-26, 2007.
- Co-Author, “Class Action Reform: Will Perception Become Reality,” Risk Management Magazine, February 2006.
- Speaker, “PRP Letters, Suits and Administrative Actions: When does the Duty to Defend Begin?”, Advanced National Forum on Environmental Insurance Coverage and Claims, American Conference Institute, New York, New York, December, 2005.
- Speaker, National Products Liability Seminar, Defense Research Institute, 2003.
- Speaker, National Products Liability Seminar, Defense Research Institute, 2002.
- Speaker, International Products Liability Symposium, Brussels, Belgium, Defense Research Institute, 2001.
- Speaker, National Products Liability Seminar, Defense Research Institute, 1998.
Blue Back Square, 65 Memorial Road, Suite 340
West Hartford, CT 06107-2434
Tel: 860.760.8400 Fax: 860.760.8401
330 Madison Ave., Sixth Floor
New York, NY 10017
Tel: 212.653.8865 Fax: 646.495.5009
100 Overlook Center, Second Floor
Princeton, NJ 08540
Tel: 609.375.2602 Fax: 609.375.2001
This blog/web site is made available by the host/publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. It is not intended to provide specific legal advice to your individual circumstances or legal questions. You acknowledge that neither your reading of, nor posting on, this blog site establishes an attorney-client relationship between you and the blog/web site host or the law firm, or any of the attorneys with whom, the host is affiliated. This blog/web site should not be used as a substitute for seeking competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state. Readers of this information should not act upon any information contained on this website without seeking professional counsel. The transmission of confidential information via Internet email is highly discouraged. Per a June 11, 2007 opinion of Connecticut's Statewide Grievance Committee, legal blogs/websites, such as this one, may be deemed an "advertisement" under applicable rules and regulations of Connecticut, and/or the rules and regulations of other jurisdictions.